There are a few ways to get a free credit report, a couple of which are listed below:
One of the ways you can get a copy of your free credit report is through Annual Credit Report, www.annualcreditreport.com. By law, you are allowed to get one free copy of all three credit reports every 12 months from each of the national consumer credit reporting agencies, Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion. These reports do not include credit scores.
You may request your free annual credit report:
- Online at www.annualcreditreport.com;
- By calling: (877) 322-8228;
- By mail to: Annual Credit Report Request Service, P.O. Box 105281, Atlanta, GA 30348-5281. This is a dedicated mailbox for consumers requesting their annual credit report; no “attention to” call out is necessary. You may include a return receipt with your request.
Please be sure to include your name, Social Security number, current and previous addresses, date of birth, and telephone number.
For your protection, you will also need to verify your identity with an acceptable form of identification. Types of acceptable forms of identification can be found here.
Meeting Certain Requirements
Another way you can receive a copy of your free credit report from the three national consumer credit reporting agencies is if you meet one of the following requirements as outlined in the Fair Credit Reporting Act. This law indicates that if you meet one of these requirements, you are entitled to one additional free copy of your credit file during any 12-month period:
- Persons who are unemployed and intend to apply for employment within 60 days;
- Persons receiving public welfare assistance;
- Persons who believe their consumer file contains inaccurate information due to fraud;
- Persons who have been the subject of adverse action, such as denial of credit or insurance, within the past 60 days.
If any of these situations apply to you, you can request your additional free copy of a credit report from Equifax by contacting us:
- Online at Equifax.com
- By phone: (800) 685-1111
- By mail to: Equifax Disclosure Department, P.O. Box 740241, Atlanta, GA 30374.This is a dedicated mailbox for consumers sending these types of requests; no “attention to” designation is necessary. You may include a return receipt with your request.
Please be sure to include your name, Social Security number, current and previous addresses, and date of birth. For your protection, you will also need to verify your identity through an acceptable form of identification. Types of acceptable forms of identification can be found here.