How does the dispute process work?

If you submit a dispute to one of the three nationwide credit bureaus (Equifax, Experian and TransUnion), they may update your credit reports based on the documents and information you provide – submitting a marriage certificate for a name change, for example.  

If you contact the lender or creditor, the company will investigate and send you the results of its investigation directly.  It will also notify credit bureaus of any changes that need to be made to your credit reports as a result of the investigation.  

If you submit a dispute with one of the three nationwide credit bureaus, the credit bureau may, on your behalf, contact the lender or creditor from which it received the disputed information; supply them with the information and any supporting documents you provided with your dispute; and instruct the lender or creditor to investigate your dispute.  

After completing its investigation, the lender or creditor may provide its response, along with any information updates, to the credit bureau with which you initiated your dispute. That bureau will then notify you of the investigation response within 30 days of your dispute request. 

Click here for more information on the dispute process.

Click here to find out what to do if you don’t agree with the dispute investigation results.

Still have questions?