How to Dispute Credit Report Information

There is information on my credit report that I believe is incorrect. What can I do about it?

Sometimes referred to as “filing a dispute,” there are important things to know about disputing information on your credit report. Federal law allows you to dispute inaccurate information on your credit report. There is no fee for filing a dispute. You may submit your dispute to the business that provided the information to the credit reporting agency (CRA) and/or to the CRA that included the information on your credit report.

The Federal Trade Commission’s website has information about how to dispute errors on credit reports, and the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau’s website provides additional guidance about disputing information on credit reports.


How does the dispute process work?

If you submit a dispute to a nationwide CRA, it may make changes to your credit report based on the documents and information you provided. Otherwise, the CRA will contact the business reporting the disputed information, supply them all relevant information and any documents you provide with your dispute, instruct them to investigate your dispute, and:

  • Review all information you provided about your dispute;
  • Verify the accuracy of the information they are reporting to the CRA;
  • Provide the CRA with a response to your dispute, including any changes to the information reported;
  • Update their records and systems as necessary; and
  • The CRA will then notify you of the results of the investigation.

If you submit a dispute with a business, they will conduct an investigation and will send you the results of the investigation directly. They will notify the CRA of any changes that need to be made to the information as a result of the investigation.


How do I submit my dispute?

To submit a dispute to a CRA, contact the CRA that has the inaccurate information on your credit report. You may submit a dispute with each of the CRA online, by mail or by telephone.

Equifax -
Experian -
TransUnion -

Equifax – 1- 866-349-5191

P.O. Box 740256
Atlanta, GA 30374-0256

P.O. Box 9701
Allen, TX 75013

P.O. Box 2000
Chester, PA 19016


Should I include documents when I submit my dispute?

You may also submit documents in support of your dispute. Documents may be uploaded for online disputes, submitted by mail, or submitted for phone disputes by following instructions given by the agent. It’s important to understand that documents will not be returned to you following the investigation. Therefore, when mailing documents, please only submit copies of documents and not originals.

To submit a dispute with a business, you will need to contact the business directly. The contact information for that business should be included on your credit report or monthly billing statement.

The Federal Trade Commission’s website has more information on correcting your credit report, and the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau’s website also provides additional information on disputing information on your credit report as well.

Lock and Alert Logo

Help control who has access to your Equifax® credit report. It's free.

Equifax is helping put you in control of your Equifax credit report. With Lock & Alert, you can quickly and easily lock and unlock your Equifax credit report with a click or swipe, and we’ll send a confirmation alert.1

  1. Locking your Equifax credit file will prevent access to it by certain third parties. Locking your Equifax credit file will not prevent access to your credit file at any other credit reporting agency. Entities that may still have access to your Equifax credit file include: companies like Equifax Global Consumer Solutions which provide you with access to your credit report or credit score, or monitor your credit file; federal, state, and local government agencies; companies reviewing your application for employment; companies that have a current account or relationship with you, and collection agencies acting on behalf of those whom you owe; for fraud detection purposes; and companies that wish to make pre-approved offers of credit or insurance to you. To opt out of such pre-approved offers, visit