How do I correct or dispute inaccuracies on my credit reports by mail?

If you see information on your credit reports you believe is incomplete or inaccurate, a good first step is to contact the lender
or creditor that reported the information directly. This is especially helpful if the information involves account-related information, or your name and address. Updating your personal information with lenders and creditors can help make sure the information reported to the three nationwide credit bureaus - Equifax, Experian and TranUnion - is correct.

Under federal law, you can dispute information on your credit reports with the credit bureaus.

To file a dispute by mail, you may need to provide copies of documentation. Please click here to review documents that may be required.
You can download the Equifax Dispute form here.

You can send your request and copies of documents to the three nationwide credit bureaus at the following addresses:

Equifax Information Services, LLC
P.O. Box 740256
Atlanta, GA  30374-0256

P.O. Box 4500
Allen, TX 75013

TransUnion Consumer Solutions
P.O. Box 2000
Chester, PA 19016

You can also file a dispute with Equifax by phone or online.

Phone: 1-888-Equifax (1-888-378-4329)
9:00 am to 9:00 pm (ET), Monday through Friday, and 9:00 am to 6:00 pm (ET), Saturday and Sunday.

Online: myEquifax 

To dispute via phone or online at Experian or TransUnion, please visit their websites for more information.

Most dispute investigations are completed in 30 days.  If you initiated your dispute online, you will receive notification of your investigation results via email.  If you disputed information by phone, you have the option to receive the results via email or U.S. mail. If you disputed information by mail, we will send you the results of the investigation via U.S. mail.  

To learn more about how the dispute process works, please click here.

Still have questions?