What can I do if I believe my credit file has been mixed with someone else's?

If you believe the information on your credit report has been mixed with that of someone else, you should submit a dispute with all of the credit bureaus that have incorrect information on your credit reports.

When submitting your dispute, identify the information that does not belong to you. This may include addresses, other identification information, and credit accounts.

You’ll need to provide documentation to verify your identity.  The documents required will depend on the information you are disputing, but required information may include:  

  • Your full name, including middle name and suffix, such as Jr., Sr., II, III
  • Your date of birth
  • Your Social Security number
  • Your current address, including apartment number if applicable

If you think you know who the incorrect information belongs to, such as a relative, please let the credit bureau know since that may help them resolve your dispute faster.

For more information on how to submit a dispute with the three nationwide credit bureaus, click here.

Still have questions?